Wednesday, May 18, 2011

And They Danced Anyway

Without a doubt my favorite thing about weddings is the dancing. Fortunately for me I happen to be married to a man that feels the exact same way who is ready and willing to cut a rug at a moment's notice. It's sort of endearing that neither of us have a clue what we're doing, but we still swing, spin and groove to the music with the confidence of Fred Astaire (especially after a couple of beers!)

One thing we've noticed on every reception dance floor is an unassuming, little old married couple that masterfully breaks out into the Hustle with enviable moves. (How is it that literally EVERY wedding has a pair of fancy dancers?) It's sort of become an inside joke between  Frank and I. "Oh, there they are! The future Mr. and Mrs. Lowery, Swing Dancers Extraordinaire! That's so going to be us when we're old."

Well, Frank turns 40 next month and he must be officially 'old' because we've signed up for dance lessons at Arthur Murray Studio! I have to say right off the bat, their staff is amazing! Not only are they extremely knowledgeable, but they're hilarious; In my mind, that's the perfect mix-bag of traits for any teacher. We were invited a few weeks ago to a Guest Night by our good friend Alaina and even though we both sort of stumbled our way through the first lesson we were hooked! With Frank's blessing I signed us up for two  privates lessons and we've been learning to Swing! Our teacher, Adam is a bit Tweedle Dee-ish. He's shorter, round through the middle, and adorned with the tiniest pair of flashy black and white dancing shoes you've ever seen. I love him. Actually, Frank loves him too. With his quick wit, penchant for acronyms and a serious Star Trek obsession I want to just pick him up, stuff him in my pocket and take him home for us to marvel at. He's adorable. Moreover, that man can dance! He's nothing short of enchanting when he's in motion and while I KNOW we've got a long way to go, I'm seriously excited about learning to move like that!

Adam sat us down after our introductory meeting to learn about our goals.  We had to let him in on our secret fantasy to be the sassy swingers (ballroom that is) that others watch in awe. We want jaws to drop! So with Adams help we created our new mantra: "We're going to dance anyway, so we might as well be good at it!"

I'm proud to say after our first two lessons we're doing just that; We're kind of getting good at it! Adam says we've got good rhythm (this is news to us) and a great connection (I happen to think so too) so apparently we're teachable! And it must be said, my hubby is stinkin' cute out there! Aside from his perma grin, the best thing about Frank on the dance floor is that he wears  his super shiny, dressy shoes despite the fact that above the ankle he's rockin' a pair of  worn Lucky Jeans and a faded Silverman t-shirt. It totally cracks me up! I am so thankful that my hubbs is willing to go total dorkus for my benefit without regard to his manly man persona.

Next up? We're gonna crash some weddings!

No comments:

Post a Comment