Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Yummies from Land of Oz

Two years ago Frank and I had the great pleasure of traveling Down Under to bid on the ITU Long Course World Triathlon Championships (an honor which was bestowed upon us, much to our delight, and will take place this November 5, 2011!) For us, the Gold Coast was love at first sight. Pristine beaches, gorgeous weather, a laid back vibe and all kinds of mouth-watering goodies.

I think it's only fair to mention (in the spirit of unbiased journalism) that we were kidless and would have been just as happy sitting on a curb in BFE with a six pack of PBR and beef jerky for 8 days. Not as pretty, but certainly entertaining.

Back to the treats. I had three very distinct and amazing palate experiences Down Under.

First, was the coffee. I don't know what it is about the way they do things south of the equator but I'm telling you Australian Baristas know whats up. I have never had a cup of coffee before or since that trip that comes close to measuring up to a 'Flat White.' (Sorry Starbucks. Your coffee is sub par. But you've still got the best Soy Chai around.)

This is a Flat White. Borrowed the image from Google for visual effect!


Second, a big bowl of Greek Yogurt with Muesli and passion fruit. I ate it every single day for breakfast and boy oh boy was it delish. Plus passion fruit just makes you feel exotic. What mom of four (or any mom for that matter) doesn't want to feel a little exotic now and then?

Another borrowed image to conjure up hunger pangs.

Third, Darrel Lea Soft Eating Black Liquorice. I grew up devouring Good n' Plentys with my Grandma. We are kindred spirits in many ways but our passion for black licorice was bigger; We've tried A LOT of different kinds and I'm telling you, this is the BEST black licorice I've had in my entire life.  If you're a black licorice lover, then you can appreciate a good piece. We brought home an entire suitcase (This is no Frankxaggeration here! Honestly, an entire suitcase) and as reluctant as I was to share, I even shipped some to dear old Gram.

Yep. That's Curtis.
In an effort to rekindle some Australian memories in our own home I asked Frank for an Australian Barista for Christmas that year. Preferably one that looked like Curtis Stone from Take Home Chef but I wasn't going to be picky. I didn't get one. To Frank's point, a 6ft tall Australian man might not fit on the counter as well as the Keurig does.

Plan B included several trips to Whole Paycheck and Trader Joes for my breakfast ingredients yielding nothing. Well that's not entirely true. We had loads of 'interesting' yogurts and flaky, nutty mixtures labeled Muesli but no passion fruit and nothing really worthy of praise. So we decided to track down some licorice instead.

In a last ditch effort I googled Darrell Lea to see if we could place an order and was dumbfounded to find that it would cost us over $200 to ship (Lord only knows why) a $3 bag of that chewy black goodness from Australia. I'm all for giving in to an indulgence - it's so good for the soul - but not even I can justify a $203 sack of candy. Even if it is the most incredible candy on the planet.  

No Barista. No yogurt/muesli/passion fruit concoction that holds a candle.  No Licorice.

Can it be possible that my only connection to Australia will be via furry Ugg boots that Vegas moms wear even in summer? The answer is a resounding YES! Until today that is. While standing in the checkout of Total Wine mentally adding up the cost of beer and wine I was about to purchase for someones 40th birthday party this weekend (HAPPY almost BIRTHDAY FRANK!) I saw it:

Australia's Darrell Lea Soft Eating Black Liquorice!!! In the flesh!!! On this side of the pond!!! For significantly less than $203 per bag! I tossed it in the cart on the spot and have been happily munching, and reliving my days on the Gold Coast all day long...Ahhhhh!!!


Mmm Hmm. Someone else thinks it's tasty too. Good thing I like this little guy.

P.S. As if licorice isn't enough to get you there, Total Wine on Stephanie is awesome! Great prices, very friendly and knowledgeable staff, and an enormous selection of wine and beer for any budget.

1 comment: